Thursday, September 18, 2008

French Wheelin' and More Handy Tips

I've been wanting to show you paper-craft examples using the various sets that are part of the current Stampin' Up! Free Wheelin' Promotion. The only problem is I haven't had much time to get inspired and create. So it occurs to me that there is no need to "re-invent the wheel". Here's a card I have CASE'd from Michelle Pauly. It show cases the Carte Postale stamp set and the Leaves A La Carte jumbo wheel perfectly:


The colours are Whisper White, Basic Black and Certainly Celery. For the main panel, the Leaves A La Carte wheel has firstly been inked up in Celery before being over-stamped with the wheel inked up in Whisper White. It is quite busy but works because the colours are subtle.

The white panel beneath the main panel has been wheeled with Certainly Celery only and a scalloped edge added using the Slit Punch. This is a really neat technique, if you'd like to learn more, have a look at this online tutorial from Julia Stainton.

A row of paper piercing using a piercing tool and the Mat Pack tops the card. I've used narrow Black grosgrain ribbon to embellish. Speaking of ribbon, do you hate it when it frays? I know I do. It's less likely to happen with a card that isn't handled much but for scrapbook pages, I like to prevent my ribbons from fraying. The first step is to have a really sharp pair of snips, dedicated to cutting ribbons only (that means paper never goes near the blades - except when my desk is really messy and I can't find my paper snips). This gives you a clean, neat edge to start with. Then I take to the end of the ribbon with a naked flame and very carefully melt the fibres at the end of the ribbon. You only want to do this gently, slowly and briefly:


Please don't set your ribbon or card on fire. And keep the matches or lighter away from the kiddies. And if you borrowed your husband's BBQ lighter, remember to return it. Did I mention it may not work on all ribbons? I depends on what the ribbon is made of so if you're planning to do this, please experiment with the ribbon first.

Remember, if you like what you see above, you can buy the Carte Postale stamp set before the 30 September 2008, and receive the Leaves A La Carte jumbo wheel for free.

I've got lots of other cards to make....my dear friend Kathryn had a baby boy (Nathan) recently so a welcome card is currently formulating in my head. Please stay tuned.

Thanks for visiting,

Love from Crafty Kim

No comments: