Monday, September 1, 2008

Something for the Scrappers


Some of you may have seen this "in the flesh" before today because it isn't a new creation. I've had a busy few days with my Open House and also, following up on the Stitches and craft Show so not much personal crafting has been happening. But thanks to everyone who came along to my house for two very enjoyable stamping sessions. Everybody was really lovely and one of the best things about being a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator is the company of my paper-craft friends.

So, back to the canvas. I started scrapbooking over five years ago but I got a little distracted along the way and would you believe, I have lots of pages in no particular order, without an album being completed? So I've really welcomed the trend towards "off-the-page" scrapping where you put the outcome of your crafting out on display. Rather than hidden inside an album waiting for someone to glance at it. I figure if I am going to make the effort of creating a scrapbook page, I'd like people to see it.

Here is my first canvas ever. And, while it did take me a while to complete (learning the tricks as I went), I was really pleased with the outcome. I just bought a cheap canvas from a bargain shop. But I did use good quality acrylic base coat and paints. I mixed the pink colour to match the photo and designer series paper and after it had dried, I went back and put on small flecks of white paint to break up the pink.

When I first saw the Petals and Paisleys Designer Series Paper I thought the colours were too bold for me. But they turned out to be perfect for this photo. So off I went, sticking paper to canvas. And I was so proud of the result that I hung it straight up on the wall. Then the paper started to peel off. Oh no! That's when I discovered Stampin' Up! Sticky Strip. I can't believe I got through life without Sticky Strip until recently. This tape really sticks.

So, with a bit of stamping, using the scrap-friendly Be Happy set, and some cutting and punching with circle and oval punches plus some ribbon and bling, my artwork was complete and now it hangs happily on the wall for all to admire, except when it is being photographed by me!

I urge scrappers to have a close look at the Stampin Up! Designer Series Papers; they are great value (at $1 each for double-sided paper) and of course, there are loads of co-ordinating cardstock, punches, embellishments and stamps.

I'll be back soon to share some of the Stitches and Craft Show demonstrations and specials, just in case you missed them. And one more Father's Day card (remember Dad's day this Sunday 7 September).

Love from Crafty Kim


No comments: