Monday, September 22, 2008

Welcome Nathan James


It's been a busy few days but I finally got to making a baby card. My beautiful friend, Kathryn, has been blessed with a gorgeous boy, her third son. Big brothers Thomas and Benjamin are thrilled with their new brother. Ben, is especially proud to be a big brother for the first time after nearly five years of being the little brother.

In the words of Don Herold..."Babies are such a nice way to start people". I couldn't agree more.

The starting point for this card was Bashful Blue. I looked at my trusty Colour Wheel and found that it teams well with Brilliant Blue. I tried teaming the blues up with Barely Banana and it wasn't in any way offensive but it was hardly eye catching. All by myself, I came up with Pumpkin Pie instead (with apologies to Michelle Dyson who has an aversion to orange). But what else? I'm thinking green but what green? So I went for a visit to Stampin' Up! Colour Combos site and plugged in the colours in use. Back came Whisper White (obviously), Gable Green and Wild Wasabi. I do like Wild Wasabi but I love the soft freshness of Gable Green.

I was away...I love giraffes and have a few of them in my collection. I decided to use the little giraffe from Little Hellos and use the Spotlight Technique. I just coloured the giraffe with an orange pencil since Brilliant Blue smudges if you try to water colour or use a blender pen on the image. I used the corner rounder punch to create a scalloped edge and then the 1/8 inch circle punch to add the holes to the scallops. I love the new Silver Hodge Podge from the Spring Mini Catalogue so I framed the words "baby boy" from Everyday Flexible Phrases with silver. I couldn't leave my ribbon reel in its home so Pumpkin narrow grosgrain was threaded behind the silver frame. I used my favourite pad, Versamark, with Itty Bitty Backgrounds to stamp the Gable Green base card.

So, if you're ever faced with a colour dilemma, be sure to solve it by visiting the Colour Combo site. There's always a link to it on this web site, on the right under "Places I like to visit".

I have been working on a Christmas novelty item today and bought some Pascalls Columbines for the purpose. Unfortunately, I was unable to complete the project due to a shortage of the lollies. It seems the manufacturers put less in the bag than they once did ;)

So I'll be back right after I've re-stocked the Columbine supply.

Love from Crafty Kim

P.S. Note to my lovely friend Suzanne, also a recently appointed mother of three boys, if you're reading this. I know baby Matthew is older than baby Nathan and I still owe you a visit and a card. You're not forgotten. Thanks for your patience.

No comments: