Monday, April 27, 2009

CASEing the Catalogue to make a Haberdashery Card


Just a quick post because it's way past my bed time (I'm up late preparing to leave my family and employment for 4 days so I can attend the annual Stampin' Up! Convention in Canberra). Just as well I'm not driving down; I might even get a chance to nap in the car.

On page 71 of the new Stampin' Up! catalogue, I found a card I really liked and decided to CASE it (Copy And Share Everything, the paper-crafter's motto). And I have plenty of scrap decorative paper (who doesn't?) so I created the card above. It had a haberdashery feel to it so I took this idea further and added a button. It's not very clear in the photo but I've made a border from paper piercing.

The base card colour is Certainly Celery and I've used the small swirl from Priceless plus a greeting from Occasional Greetings. Along with my 1.25 inch Square, Small Oval and Scallop Edge punches. The ribbon is Going Gray Taffeta and there is Linen Thread through the button. A Vintage Pewter brad completes the picture. Note I used Going Gray ink as an alternative to black ink, it's less harsh.

I liked the simplicity of this card and extended the idea to make another Mother's Day card:


In this card, the base card stock is Mellow Moss and I've used a Gold Brad and Vanilla Taffeta Ribbon. As an alternative to the paper piercing border, I punched a 1/8 inch hole in each of the scallops of the scallop border. Looking at it now, I should have used my Stampin' Dimensionals to pop-up the punched Cameo Coral flower in the top left square. Ah well, it is late.

Depending on the paper you use, this card could suit any occasion. I've got lots of scrap paper so if you would like some 3 x 3 inch squares and card stock to match, drop me a line at ktonnet@bigpond.net.au, including your postal mail address, and I'll send some out as my gift to you. Offer open to all Australian residents.

I'll be taking my laptop away with me so fingers-crossed I'll manage to get back here and let you know what a ball we're having despite the freezing weather ACT residents are currently enduring, brrrrrrr....

Love from Crafty Kim

P.S. And thanks in advance for your patience during this short interruption to normal SU! business.

1 comment:

Game Over said...

what am awesome idea for a card kim. i love that little sneaky bit in the corner. it is an excellent way to sue up those tiny bits of scraps. keep up the great work and inspiration!